Uganda announces lockdown as Ebola cases rise
Uganda has announced it will ban all classes and activities for one week from July 18-25 as part of a week-long lockdown to curb the spread of the Ebola virus.
The announcement by President Yoweri Museveni comes after the Uganda National Education Network (UNEN) said the number of cases of Ebola would soon exceed 2,000 with at least 477 deaths.
The first case of the virus was reported on June 24, following a family visit to a funeral in the western town of Gulu.
“We are using all the means at our disposal like mass sensitisation, education and community engagement,” Museveni said in a video message posted on YouTube on Sunday.
“What we are doing is all about education and prevention and, if possible, that will reduce the rate of transmission.”
Museveni said people would be allowed to work only in essential services like health, agriculture, health and education.
“Ugandans are very resilient and we will get through it,” he said, adding that the country has a very good system to protect its population.
Ugandan health worker who contracted Ebola – in pictures
“What we hope to achieve is the health sector that we have, and to make sure that the health workers and health service providers can access their services and people can access the services that they want at the places that they want to go. And to make sure that people are safe going to and from work as well as work places for services.”
The latest statistics show an estimated 55,890 cases of Ebola, a death toll of 2,716 and a total of 6,842 victims so far. A total of 1,380 people have had recovered, with 328 persons in critical condition.
“We must remain vigilant in preventing and reducing the spread of Ebola at all times,” Museveni said, adding, “The rate of transmission is declining.”
The first confirmed