Simona Halep suspended for Madrid Open

Simona Halep provisionally suspended after testing positive for banned substance

The International Tennis Federation (ITF) has announced that world No. 1 Simona Halep has been provisionally suspended following the result of a doping test for the substance Nandrolone.

On Tuesday, the ITA announced that Halep’s sample had tested positive for the banned substance.

The announcement follows a positive result at the WTA Championships in Istanbul on May 27 for Halep and, on Monday, a positive result for Halep at the Mutua Madrid Open in Spain.

The ITA said it would suspend the Russian, who was ranked No. 24 in the world at the start of the year.

“The International Tennis Federation, as part of its ongoing doping controls, has decided to suspend Simona Halep for the remainder of the tournament on May 29. The Russian player will be subject to a test at a WADA accredited laboratory on the same day.

“The ATP confirmed that there is no need to reschedule the WTA Championships Madrid Open as the player has tested positive for a prohibited substance and the tournament will be postponed until further notice,” said an ITA statement.

Halep is scheduled to defend her title at her third title on May 29 at the Madrid Open.

Halep – who has previously been banned from tennis for 15 months after testing positive for the hormone nandrolone in 2014, according to USADA – was scheduled to face Caroline Wozniacki in the quarterfinals of the Madrid Open.

“Today’s positive result was unfortunate and in no way should be taken lightly,” WTA chief executive Steve Simon said in a statement. “Simona has been tested previously for the substance nandrolone. The independent external control service WADA has been notified and Simona is provisionally suspended.

“The ITA will now work with WADA on the next steps of the process. Simona has been notified of the procedure. If Simona wishes to continue her career

Leave a Comment